Features Of KernelCAD
The overall strongest feature of KernelCAD is runtime performance, particularly when it comes to geometric algorithms
which are required for the modern demands for responsiveness, interactivity and animated functionality.
- Fast DirectX-based rendering
- Programmatic access to all aspects of 3D view: zoom, 3D navigation, persistent and animated view points, light, textures, etc
- Offscreen rendering into memory or an image file with possibly higher than screen resolution
- Transparent 3D background
- Retained mode is available for low-level custom rendering by the application
- Different styles of measurements
- Various types of objects from parametric brep nurbs to freeform mesh to suit different applications
- One type of object, called 3DS, is unique to KernelCAD. It offers very simple and flexible WYSIWYG kind of modeling using 3D arc/line patches and splines
- Modelling in cylindrical coordinates
- Runtime object creation, model restructuring and surface modification using well-structured and well-documented interface
- Object grouping and hierarchy, layers, arrays
- Various styles of 3D text, including unique smart labels and text as
step-compliant 3D solids
- Programmatic import / export to the most popular CAD formats, including step, iges and Autodesk formats
- Programmatic access to Boolean Operations on both brep solids and free-form meshes. Unique Boolean operations of surfaces (non-solids)
- CAM effects
- Several technologies for Collision Detection
- Unique Euclidean Shortest Path algorithm
- Models can be encrypted and secured with a password. The default model file extension can be changed to any other
- Custom application data in different formats can be stored per object or per model. On demand models
can even create a custom built-in database
- 2D mode, including dynamically generated projection and intersection, 2D views
- Integration with major IDEs: Visual Studio, Embarcadero, VB6 and others
- Events to notify the application about object/feature selection, menu commands, etc.
- Optimised for .NET. All samples are available in C#, VB .NET or WPF
- Support for native languages like Delphi, C++, VB6
- Tools for increasing productivity of CAD-enabled software development: The unique 3D Debugger, Model Explorer, Birds Eye View
- Access to low-level functionality: Client Draw events, mesh manipulation, etc
- A lot of functionality is available to the end user without any programming by using
Model Explorer, context menu and key shortcuts
- Extensive installed and online documentation
- Samples and tutorials with source code in different programming languages covering all functionality
- Free redistributable merge modules provide convenient ways to deploy KernelCAD-based applications
- The choice of interface allows us to significantly restructure KernelCAD without breaking existing applications. New versions are always backward compatible
See also: Overview Of KernelCAD Suite.
Please do not hesitate to contact us to enquire about a feature you need. It might
have just missed this high-level list. There are also lots of features ready to use, but require
a bit of work from us to be exposed via the interface.
KernelCAD is significantly open software in its design. We allow extending core classes of KernelCAD.
We also publish source code modifications for major open source components we are using.
This means that it is possible to extend or customise its functionality, perhaps with our help. There is also a way for advanced users to
send calls and exchange data between components of KernelCAD. For example on a message from the application a custom module in Ogre
could obtain references to major objects of Open Cascade or Teigha library and vice versa.