Extract mesh conditions

Technical discussions
atrev

Extract mesh conditions

Post by atrev »

What are the conditions required for an extract to be successful. I've taken the cloud example and got the extract functionality from it, but the function doesn't always seem to work, for reasons unknown.
I run an extract in our own application, or the cloud demo, and place a region to extract, and the extracted mesh comes back empty, throwing no error.
Its not something simple such as its using a local axis scheme or something is it?

Thanks

nickz
Site Admin

Re: Extract mesh conditions

Post by nickz »

This is a good question. You are right

Apart from making sure that mesh in the upgraded state (this will not be required after update 3756, )
http://www.dynoinsight.com/phpBB3/viewt ... f=3&t=2887, the only condition is that the volume has to have at least one vertex inside.

What is missing in the documentation is that the mesh is assumed to be in global coordinates (as it does not have a local frame). In case when the mesh is surface of a section with non-trivial local frame (different from global axes) you need to convert the object of the volume to local frame of the mesh section. You could convert mesh to global coordinates instead, but this is much slower

I will try to push through another method like
IMeshEx.Extract2(IObjectOriented* proximity, IFrame* localFrame, ....) where .... means parameters same as in Extract(),
which would do it automatically. With luck this should be ready tomorrow

Converting an object to a local frame means making its frame local, which can be done by calling IFrameEx.ToLocal() for the origin of the frame of the object and IFrameEx.ToLocalVector() for its axes. This operation also deserves another method. Pls check this thread in a day.

Regards
Nick

nickz
Site Admin

Re: Extract mesh conditions

Post by nickz »

We just have posted the 3756 update which has the new IMeshEx.Extract2(). We have separated its demo into new Mesh Mods sample
Iframe also has new ToLocal/ToGlobal(IFrame) method to convert frames. IMeshMods has also new ToLocal/ToGlobal(IFrame)
Nick