VB6

Technical discussions
Mike_Rost

VB6

Post by Mike_Rost »

Hello
I see only few examples in Visual Basic 6. Will it be supported going forward? Will I have any problems in v4.3? I am working mostly with wrl files
Thank You
Mike

nickz
Site Admin

Re: VB6

Post by nickz »

Hi Mike
Everything should work with v4.3 in the same way as the version you currently have. We do not plan any changes which would prevent this in the future
Generally though, my personal opinion is that new development should not be done with VB6, unless you do not plan to retire in the next five years.

I recommend porting your application to .NET as soon as possible. It is much more productive. I am working 90% of the time with C++, but when I need to do something in .NET it is a joy. Everything is consistent, lots of free functionality. Everything is on high level. All well-documented

VB6 is quirky. It means that it is expensive to get working something inside. The worst thing is that it is not supported and not developed. Also I think in 3-5 years time it will be hard to find 32 bit applications. So customers will demand 64 bit.

With .NET you would have much more options for components and many things either available in .NET or are easy to implement by yourself.
It will take time to learn to be productive, but not that long. I did not actually read any books on it. I could learn it but doing it. The documentation is good. There are lots of samples.

Porting the code is a big job of course, but may not be that much. There are tools which automatically convert code. This saves lots of time, although manual work will be needed.

You will have to do it eventually. So it is better to start it earlier so that less code will be needed to port.
Regards
Nick

Mike_Rost

Re: VB6

Post by Mike_Rost »

Thank you, Nick
for the insight
Mike