Moving parts

Technical discussions
atrev

Moving parts

Post by atrev »

When moving and rotating parts on the screen, is there a way to combine the movements into one instruction, instead of doing all separately? We use a lot of translations and rotations in a row, and if we could combine hopefully should speed out system up

thanks

nickz
Site Admin

Re: Moving parts

Post by nickz »

Hi atrev
You need to group them, which means making them children of one parent object (the group object). This way they will be sort of welded together. Moving one of them will move the others too.

You can select one of them as the parent of the group and attach others to it. Or, to make it more logical so that all objects are on same level, you can create a new empty object and attach all to it. Empty object is an object which does not have any surface or empty point set for example. This way it will be invisible and will not slow down anything. You can just create a new mesh section and do not add any elements (simplexes) to it

Attaching means adding as a child: iSectionOfGroupObject -> IArray -> IArray.Add(iSectionOfChild). There are many examples of that like the "Object Array" sample

Nick

atrev

Post by atrev »

Sorry, I think you understood what I meant.

We have a mesh that we create, but we have to apply 8 different translation and rotations to it to get it in the correct position we want, using different rotations axis for each rotation etc. we are using the itransform object. If we could combine that into a single matrix and apply that, it should be a single instruction, but looking through the documention you can't seem to do using this kind of method?

thanks

nickz
Site Admin

Post by nickz »

Atrev,
I see. Looks like you need a way to combine many transformations into one and apply it to an object.

In today’s update v4.3.3804 we have added this topic: http://www.dynoinsight.com/Help/Geom/Ob ... forms.aspx
It describes construction of transforms, their multiplication and transformation of meshes.

There is also new C# version of Transform example (different functionality from one available from the sample explorer), which demonstrates all this. This will be added to the next update of v4.4 also

If you need something like aligning objects by moving them around moving as a whole (see the topic) method is fast and I do not believe multiplying transforms will make any difference. The surface modification method is another matter. You can accelerate the operation 8 times in your case by preparing the cumulative transform.

Nick