Shortest path

Technical discussions
Vaslav_19

Shortest path

Post by Vaslav_19 »

Hello
Is IEuclideanShortestPath_KC the only way to get a shortest path? Is it supposed to work with parametric objects? I see the objects in the ESP sample both have mesh type.
Thank you

nickz
Site Admin

Re: Shortest path

Post by nickz »

Hi Vaslav

You need to convert the objects to mesh. See http://www.dynoinsight.com/phpBB3/viewt ... f=2&t=3129
The algorithm works with mesh only currently. The output is a segmented curve. We do not do it automatically as the output contains information about the objects where points belong.

Yes parametric only implementation would be nice also. It means significant research and coding. We will record your query as an expression of interest. We might do it one day.

Regards

Vaslav_19

Post by Vaslav_19 »

Thanks Nick.

I have another one:

What is the meaning of all points in ESP sample if we need to build shortest path between only two points? At the start we have initial path with 3 points.
I can input 3-4-5... and more points, but only first and last point (as I see) have most impact to final shortest path

nickz
Site Admin

Post by nickz »

Hi Vaslav

The first and last are the target points to be connected with a shortest path. The intermediate ones are the initial guess. If there are additional points the output will be a modification of the initial guess. It identifies which solution is needed. For example in case of a torus there are two distinctly different solutions: One going through the hole and the other one outside.

The additional points are not required. When the input is just the two end points the algorithm will work also.

Nick

Eric Rayner

Post by Eric Rayner »

Hello
Is it possible to use this functionality to get a shortest curve which stays inside the surface?
Thank You

nickz
Site Admin

Post by nickz »

Hi Eric
Not really. Those curves are called geodesics. It is a different algorithm.
For convex case two notions coincide as ESP would always lie on the surface.
Regards